Mobilizing Investments in Sustainable Food and Agriculture Systems in Africa – A High Level Dialogue
Ocean Room, 17 January, Tuesday, 2023, 10:00-11:30 CET
This session showcases the development of Food Systems strategies on the African continent and explores the investments required to advance transformation. AGRA, in partnership with the African Union and NEPAD, has facilitated numerous dialogues and provided support to governments to go beyond national pathways to advance practical action in advancing Food systems thinking and transformation in Africa. Action and impact will require resources. At this gathering governments, businesses, civil society will discuss financing and investment opportunities to advance funding and action that will deliver food systems transformation in Africa.
Participating governments, companies, and development partners, at the forefront of food systems transformation, will showcase national strategies, flagship programs and investment opportunities. The session will also explore opportunities to unlock much-needed public and private finance for food systems transformation, as well as the latest efforts by the African Union to track and monitor progress, with the aim of driving continual country-level improvement for people, planet, and prosperity
Participants will identify key priorities and actions ahead of the AGRF 2023, the Africa’s Food systems summit taking place in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania in September 2023.
Sir David Nabarro, UN Response Group and Strategic Director, 4SD
Dr. Agnes Kalibata, President, AGRA and Host of the AGRF Secretariat
Presidential Keynote Remarks
H.E Samia Suluhu Hassan, President, United Republic of Tanzania
Reflections on Leadership Commitments
- Jai Shroff, Global Chief Executive Officer, UPL
- Rodrigo Santos, Member of the Board of Management; President, Crop Science Division, Bayer
- Berry Marttin, Member of the Managing Board, Rabobank
Setting National Priorities; from Pathways to Strategies
- Mr Martin Bwalya, Director Knowledge Management and Program Evaluation AUDA, African Union Development Agency (AUDA-NEPAD)
- Hussein Mohamed Bashe, Minister for Agriculture, United Republic of Tanzania
- Dr. Ildephonse Musafiri, Minister of State, Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Resources, Rwanda
- Anne Beathe Tvinnereim, Minister of International Development, Norway
How can we Accelerate Progress and Prioritise Investments?
- Ndidi Okonkwo Nwuneli, Co-Founder and Executive Chair, Sahel Consulting: Agriculture & Nutrition Ltd.
- Fernanda Lopes Larsen, Executive Vice President Africa & Asia, Yara International
- Mauricio Adade, President, Latin America and Global Malnutrition Partnerships, DSM
- Rodger Voorhies, President of Global Growth and Opportunity, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Vera Songwe, Chair of the Board, Liquidity and Sustainability Facility
Taking it forward: Innovative Approaches Emerging from the Continent
- Jennifer Baarn, Managing Director, AGRF
- Adam Gerstenmier, Executive Director, Food Action Alliance
- Boaz Keizire, Head, Policy & Advocacy, AGRA
Mr. Alvaro Lario, President, International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
Key questions that will be addressed in this session:
- How are African countries, who are spearheading transformation responding to the ambitions they have set themselves through their national strategies?
- How can we close the annual USD 200 billion investment gap in Africa’s food systems transformation?
- What critical partnerships are required to facilitate food systems transformation?
This is an event with limited space available. Kindly RSVP as soon as possible.